Saturday, May 4, 2013

First Friday

Some of the crowd at Tehachapi Treasure Trove.
The first Friday of each month the artist community in Tehachapi gets together and wanders around from gallery to studio to museum and so on. There are several locations where the artists (usually) bring in snacks and share them with other artists and patrons of the arts. Many locations will also have live music. While at the galleries and shops there is the hope of additional sales, the museum and downtown church use the occasion to showcase new exhibits and events.

Tehachapi Museum


And when there's a show at the downtown BeeKay Theatre on a first Friday, you might run into costumed characters wandering the streets before the show. And afterwards (unless they happen to have a show that weekend) folks can head over to the local live music venue, Fiddler's Crossing, for an after art walk music and poetry jam.


5 comments:

  1. Mark, when I think of Tehachapi two images arise: the mountains and the artist. The way you describe First Friday it sounds like a fun, casual affair--the kind of thing i like. I will have to be there and take a few photos.
    I enjoy your blogs, TR

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark,

    I would love to live in a small mountain community that celebrates the arts in a cozy setting. (Plus living in a cooler climate would be wonderful.)

    When I lived in Visalia, a friend and I would go up to Three Rivers when the artists would open their homes and showcase their work. One year it was snowing. I have fond memories of those tours.

    If you think of it, post a notice on the WOK Facebook site and remind us of the next one. I'd love to come up there and browse around.

    Joan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll do my best to post a mention on the WOK Facebook group for June. (A month away is tough to remember.)

      Delete
  3. It's stuff like this that makes me wish I'd overridden my common sense regarding distance-to-work when I was looking for a house. Tehachapi sounds like a lovely community. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a nice way to spend the day.

    ReplyDelete